Vaughn Next Century Learning Center (“Vaughn”), located in Pacoima, is a large urban public school within the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). Since the early 1970s, low student achievement had been a pattern. In 1993, tired of being helpless and hopeless, Vaughn became the first conversion charter school in the nation and was authorized by LAUSD. The charter was renewed most recently in 2018. Vaughn has over 25 years of experience as a successful independent charter school serving the district’s low-income students. This previously failing elementary public school is now a full-service, community-based, K-12th charter school that assures all students are college/career ready, digitally literate, and globally competent. Vaughn operates five contiguous campuses under one charter.
- Conversion Elementary (13330 Vaughn Street, San Fernando, CA 91340, operational 1993)
- Middle School of International Studies and Technology (12353-13247, Eustace Street, San Fernando, CA 91340, operational 2000)
- School Readiness Center (13241 Vaughn Street, San Fernando, CA 91340, operational 2003)
- Vaughn International Studies Academy-High School (11505 Herrick Avenue, Pacoima, CA 91331, operational 2008)
- Elementary Academy for a Global and Green Generation-G3 (11200 Herrick Avenue, Pacoima, CA 91331, operational 2012)
Vaughn currently serves 3,153 students (K-12) and remains as the school of residence for elementary students who live in the pre-charter geographic boundary designated by LAUSD